New Student Orientation
New students for spring semester 2015 are encouraged to attend an Orientation session. At Orientation you will have opportunities to learn about:
- Advising services (please note: you will not be advised at Orientation. To be advised for classes or to receive financial aid information, see a specialist in one of the Success Centers).
- Academic strategies to succeed in your classes.
- Student Services such as the Academic Support Center, Center for Career, Employment & Transfer, and the Office of Student Accommodations.
- Getting involved in clubs and organizations.
- Library Services.
9:00: Welcome & information about Advising Services
9:45-10:15 and 10:30-11: Choose from 3 options, (1) Academic Success (2) Student Services (3) Student Life
11:00: Meet & Greet with College personnel, snacks provided. Campus & library tours provided.
Seats are limited! Sign up now at https://forms.reynolds.edu/SOAR/
The dates for spring Orientation are:
Thursday, January 8, Parham Road Campus, Massey Library Technology Center Auditorium, 9am-12pm
Friday, January 9, Downtown Campus, first floor lobby, 9am-12pm.
You will also have an opportunity to take a campus tour with the Reynolds Student Ambassadors so bring your class schedule to see where your classrooms are located.
Parking is available and free at both campuses. At the Parham Road Campus, there is a parking lot in front of the Massey Building. At the Downtown Campus, there is a parking garage attached to the building. Pull a ticket and we will validate your parking at the check-in table. Make sure to park in the Reynolds parking deck and not the VCU deck across the street. Maps are located at: http://www.reynolds.edu/who_we_are/locations.aspx
Questions: Contact email@example.com
We look forward to meeting you at Spring Orientation!
Please note: This is an informational session only. You will not be advised for spring classes. For advising, please visit one of the Student Success Centers. You can also see a Financial Aid specialist at the Success Centers. Hours of operation are posted at: http://www.reynolds.edu/student_services/advising/success_center.aspx
To help students with their transition to College, view our online Orientation, which will be posted soon. Online Orientation will provide you with tips and information about: -transcripts and transferring credit -financial aid (also at http://www.reynolds.edu/pay_for_college/financial_aid/Default.aspx) -advising -student accommodations -campus resources -paying for classes -photo IDs and parkng passes -types of degrees -choosing classes.
Summer Orientation 2015
Specific dates for Summer Orientation will be posted in the spring.
New students must attend a SOAR session to register for fall classes. If you are a parent and have questions, visit Resources for Parents.
SOAR is a two-hour program for new students that focuses on the nuts and bolts of registering for fall classes. Sessions are held at the Parham Road Campus and Downtown Campus. Students can attend SOAR at either campus even if they will take most or all of their classes at one campus.
There are two sessions at the Goochland Campus for specific programs: Automotive Technology, Diesel Mechanics Technology, Floral Design, Horticulture Technology, Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Technology, Sustainable Agriculture, and Welding.
1. Submit an application for admission at www.reynolds.edu
2. Take the placement tests at one of the campus Testing Centers. If you do not take the placement tests one week prior to your SOAR session, you will not be able to be properly advised for your fall classes. For Testing Center locations, visit www.reynolds.edu/testing.
3. Set up your username and password in MyREYNOLDS.
4. Have you applied for financial aid? www.fafsa.ed.gov
5. Bring your username, password and EMPL ID# with you to SOAR.
6. Submit your official high school transcripts to Reynolds before SOAR.
At SOAR you will:
- Check-in at the Massey Building lobby at the Parham Road Campus, Downtown Campus lobby, or Building C20 at the Goochland Campus.
- Confirm your username and password with a Student Ambassador.
- Report to an assigned classroom to be advised in a group setting.
- Learn how to navigate the Student Information System.
- Register for fall classes with the suggested class list provided to you by an advisor.
- Leave with a class schedule.
- One guest may accompany his/her student to SOAR. Seating is limited in the advising classrooms and guests may have to wait for students outside the classroom if there are no seats available, due to fire codes. Guests who are permitted into the rooms must sit at the back of the classroom in designated chairs. Students sit at computer terminals.